Fox Williams LLP is based in the City of London. Our partnership practice is recognised as being a UK market leader.
Our many years of experience of advising partnerships and LLPs gives us an unrivalled depth of understanding of the management and regulation of partnerships and LLPs. Our practical experience and negotiating skills help clients to formulate the most effective strategies and to resolve sensitive contentious issues discreetly.
We advise many firms and individuals in the professional and financial services and real estate sectors including lawyers, accountants, surveyors, architects, patent and trademark agents, doctors and dentists. In addition to our expertise in partnership and LLP law and practice, we provide employment, commercial, immigration, real estate, dispute resolution and tax expertise tailored for professional, financial services and real estate firms.
We are best known for our expertise across the whole range of complex, high profile client work, our deep understanding of the professional practices (especially law firms) and financial services and real estate sectors and the market leading individuals within our professional practices team, dealing with both contentious and non-contentious matters.
We are instructed by firms, teams and individual partners. Our practice covers advice on:
- Establishment. We have advised on the setting up in the UK and other EU countries of numerous UK and international firms.
- International. We are the market leader in establishing foreign law firms in the UK and act for over 30 North American and European law firms in London.
- Mergers. We act on high-profile mergers of international and UK law firms and other professional practices. We also advise on acquisitions and other types of combinations, including international networks and Swiss Verein structures.
- Structures. We advise professional practices, including international and UK law firms and accountancy firms on structuring their organisations. This includes gaining alternative business structure (ABS) authorisation. Given our international client base, we regularly advise on the international structuring of professional practices.
- Strategic management advice. This is part of our integrated service. We have an international client base for this aspect of our practice and advise clients in Europe, North America, the Middle East and the Far East as well as in the UK.
- Conversion to LLP. We are vastly experienced in the conversion of partnerships to LLP status.
- Drafting partnership and LLP documentation. Owing to the breadth of our professional practice client base, clients come to us for advice on current and best market practice in establishing and updating their constitutional arrangements.
- Partner and team moves. We have acted on numerous partner and team moves. We act for many individuals and teams (including partners in distressed law firms) as well as firms defending against partner and team moves. In this context we commonly advise on the enforceability of restrictive covenants.
- Discrimination. We advise firms on how to defend, manage and prevent claims.
- Litigation and arbitration. We are specialist partnership advisers in litigation and arbitration.
- Regulatory. We advise frequently on the entire spectrum of regulatory issues.
- Tax. We provide specialist tax advice on partnership remuneration structures including carried interest arrangements.
- Professional discipline. We have significant specialist knowledge in all aspects of professional discipline, including issues of probity and fitness to practise, and have represented, among others, solicitors, barristers and accountants facing investigation and disciplinary proceedings.
- Dissolution. We advise on duties and conflicts arising during the course of the winding up of firms.